Healthy Vegan Shopping List for Weight Loss
Looking to lose weight the healthiest way possible? Use this list and my helpful tips to make it easy to stock your pantry and refrigerator with everything you need to get started.
I’ve made this Healthy Vegan Shopping for Weight Loss list because I know how overwhelming it can be to completely change your lifestyle. I wanted to make this as simple as possible without having to spend tons of money at the grocery store.
How I Became Vegan
My husband and I have been vegan since January 2017. It’s the only New Year’s resolution I have stuck to my entire life. Our main goal was to lose weight and feel better. Honestly, I didn’t intend on being vegan forever, but we loved how we felt after just a few days.
After a couple of weeks being vegan, we had a potluck at work and I decided that day I was going to “eat whatever I wanted”. I felt awful the next day! I told myself from there on out I’m going to be vegan forever.
Since then we both lost weight, have more energy, better gut health, and my headaches and acne have improved significantly. In my opinion, cutting out dairy is a game-changer. I have really never felt better. I’m not perfect and I still love my desserts and chips once in a while, but my main goal is to eat mostly plants.
Where I do my Healthy Vegan Shopping
Typically, I do 90% of my shopping at Aldi. They actually have a great variety of vegan options and they are very affordable. For the items, I can’t find at Aldi I get at Giant Eagle, Heinen’s, or Meijer.
For some of my hard-to-find dry ingredients, I order from Amazon. I can usually find good prices and I love the 2-day shipping. Usually, I will buy a larger quantity when ordering from them and stock up for a while. Regardless of where you prefer to shop, just make it easy on yourself. When I first started eating vegan I would scour the grocery store for these weird items and end up so frustrated. Trust Me! This does not have to be complicated.
A Few Tips and Tricks
Many people assume that if you are vegan you eat healthy all of the time, but that’s so not the case. There are plenty of unhealthy vegans out there. Did you know that Oreos, pasta, and bread are vegan? If you think you can eat those all day and lose weight you will be sadly mistaken!
The key to losing weight is eating more veggies! It sounds so simple and it really is. It’s not an easy thing to do, but it’s so important for weight loss. I talk all about eating veggies and how to prepare them for days at a time in my 30 Day weight loss challenge.
Really, losing weight and keeping it off is done by finding the right balance of high fiber carbs, healthy fats, and low-fat proteins. It’s also super important to drink a ton of water. If you need help with this check out my post on Ten Easy Ways to Drink More Water.
Of course, I will not talk about losing weight without talking about exercise. Believe it or not, it’s not necessary to exercise to lose weight. It does help speed up the process though and helps build muscle while burning fat. This is what gives us a sexy toned body and not just a skinny one. If you are new to exercise check out my Top 6 Beachbody On-Demand Programs for Beginners post.
Let’s get on with it
Anyway, I created this list of my favorite grocery items to make it easy to get started on your weight loss and/or vegan journey. If you are freaked out about starting a vegan diet, I recommend committing to one month or even a week and just see how you feel. This may not be for everyone, but I’m telling you it has completely changed my life!
Before you head to the store, I recommend picking a couple of items from each list and purchasing those the first time you go shopping. No need to spend more money than you need to or for things to go bad before you can eat them. You will feel overwhelmed if you come home with too many new things.
Keep it simple!!! No need to make complicated recipes. Just have a good selection of items from each list. In the beginning, try to plan out a few days at a time and prep for those couple days. You do not need to feel stressed when starting a new way of eating.
Okay, for real this time, let’s get on with it.
Healthy Vegan Shopping List for Weight Loss
Beans and Legumes
- Chickpeas (For beans I buy canned and make sure to rinse them well. If you are up for boiling or soaking the beans overnight, you can buy them by the bag)
- Black Beans
- Kidney Beans
- Pinto Beans
- Peas (I buy frozen)
- Edamame (I buy frozen in steamable bag)
Nuts and Seeds
- Ground Flax Seeds
- Chia Seeds
Jarred and Canned Goods
- Tomatoes (crushed, diced, paste)
- Marinara sauce
- Vegetable Broth (I try to go with Organic and Low Sodium)
- Berries (Berries are the fruit I eat the most. I buy fresh when they are in season, but I mostly buy frozen. They are cheaper and last way longer this way. They are also great to throw in smoothies)
- Bananas (When your bananas start to go bad just peel them and put them in a bag in the freezer. They are perfect for smoothies!)
- Lemons and Limes (great for salads)
- Oranges or Cuties
- Kiwi (I love Kiwi with my oatmeal)
- Cherries (Fresh when they are in season or frozen)
- Spinach (You cannot eat too much spinach! I put at least a handful into my smoothies every morning. Chop it up and add it into cooked veggies. You can add it to soup and of course big salads!)
- Kale ( Eat a lot of Kale. I like it better cooked than raw personally. It’s so good for you!)
- Mixed Greens (Buy a large container of mixed greens each week for salads and challenge yourself to eat the whole thing. You should have 4-5 cups a day of the 3 listed above)
- Cauliflower/Cauliflower Rice ( I buy this fresh and frozen. I find the frozen cauliflower at Aldi frequently)
- Broccoli (Fresh or Frozen)
- Bell Peppers
- Sweet Potatoes
- Zucchini (great to make zoodles)
- Beets (I love to chop these up in my salads)
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Chili Powder
Other Pantry Items
- Protein Powder (This one is my favorite)
- PB Fit (I order this one from Amazon)
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Almond Butter
- Peanut Butter
- Tempeh (there are so many ways to cook this. It’s one of my favorites)
- Tofu (I would invest in a tofu press if you like tofu. It saves tons of time)
- Non-Dairy Milk (Aldi has an Unsweetened Almond Milk I love and it’s the cheapest I can find)
- Hummus (Great for salads or dipping veggies)
- Hot Sauce
- Organic Ketchup
- BBQ sauce (These are my jam! Check out those nutrition facts!)
I hope this Healthy Vegan Shopping List for Weight Loss makes your first trip to the store easy and inexpensive. Start with just a few simple items to get you started and don’t buy more fresh foods than you can eat in 5-7 days. If you don’t want to go back to the store that soon then stock up on frozen fruits and vegetables as well.
Please comment below any questions you have! Happy shopping!!