Healthy Plant-Based Travel Snacks
Planning your next road trip this summer and trying to lose weight at the same time? Try these healthy plant-based travel snacks! They are all super easy, low-calorie, dairy-free, and make the perfect road trip food. You will get to your destination feeling great and ready to take on the beach!
Being stuck in the car for hours can easily lead to unhealthy snacking. Summertime is the time to travel to our favorite destinations. We load up at the gas-station on those cheap processed snacks and by the time we get to our destination, we feel like crap! This does not have to be the case though! Pack these healthy plant-based travel snacks to munch on to relieve the boredom and not fill yourself up with empty calories.
Just like every other day you are trying to lose weight, planning is key! Prep these healthy plant-based snacks a day or two in advance so they are all ready to go. This goes for your entire trip. Depending on where you are going, try to pack as much healthy food as you can. Then when you get to your destination head to the grocery store and stock up your refrigerator for the week.
When we go on vacation I try to stick to my normal routine as much as I can while still enjoying myself. It looks something like this:
- Wake up somewhat early, have my pre-workout snack, which is toast and PBFit with my Energize.
- Get in a good workout. Beachbody On-Demand makes this easy to do from anywhere. Check out my post on Top 6 Beachbody On-Demand Programs for Beginners for some ideas!
- Then I have my favorite smoothie for my post-workout meal.
- For lunch, I will have mostly veggies with some lean protein.
- If I get hungry in between I will snack on veggies and hummus.
- For dinner, I have whatever I want. We usually eat out, so I get what I want and I don’t worry about how healthy it is.
- After dinner, I have a yummy dessert, but try not to overdo it.
- Then a few skinny summer cocktails to end my day 🙂
- Go to bed, wake up, repeat!
Prep your healthy snacks and leave the junk for the kids haha! Yes, I’m not crazy. I will try to share my healthy stuff with the kids, but let’s be real! They will still eat the junk and I’m totally okay with it. It’s a vacation and I will pick my battles!
Okay, let’s get on with this list…..
Healthy Plant-Based Travel Snacks
1. Healthy Vegan Protein Bites– You can make these a day or two ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until it’s time to hit the road.
2. No-Bake Brownie Bites *vegan and gluten-free*– These can also be made a day or two ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator.
3. Roasted Chickpeas – You can make these homemade or order from Amazon.
4, Veggies and Hummus- Chop the veggies and put them in baggies or use this awesome travel container. You can portion out your hummus for easier snacking! My favorite veggies for snacking are carrots, celery, bell peppers, cucumbers, cauliflower, and broccoli.
5. Fruits- portion out fruits into 1 cup containers for easier snacking and portion control. It’s easy to overeat fruit and although it’s great for you, you don’t want to go crazy.
6. Vegan Granola Bars- Try these Chocolate Granola Bars if you want to make them at home or make it easy and try my favorite Kashi Granola Bars.
7. Overnight Oats- try one of these delicious Vegan Overnight Oats recipes for a quick breakfast on the go. Make them the night before in mason jars and put them in a travel cooler until you are ready to enjoy. They are great cold, so no need to heat them up!
8. Vegan Crackers- You can get crazy and try to make your own, but I would just order some to make your life easy! These vegan cheddar cauliflower crackers are my favorite. You should also portion these out and have one serving a day if you are trying to lose weight.
9. Nuts- the healthiest nuts are almonds, pistachios, walnuts, cashews, and pecans. Again, portion these out because it’s easy to overdo it. You can also buy them in a variety pack already portioned for you!
10. Popcorn- this is a great low-calorie option when you are craving something salty and crunchy! Popcorn is also great because you can eat a good amount of it per serving. Measure it out or try these packs to make it easier!
11. Plant-Based Peanut Butter Banana Muffins– these are amazing and great if you are craving something sweet! They make a great breakfast and my kids love these too!
12. Cranberry Chia Snack Bars– for these you will want to make them ahead of time! They look so good and will satisfy your sweet tooth and salty craving!
13. No-Bake Peanut Butter Bites– these look so good too, but I would only have a couple each day if you are trying to lose weight. They will be easy to overeat! I bet your kids will love them too!
14. Ants on a Log– These are an old classic, but still healthy and delicious. Did you know you burn more calories digesting celery than what it is in it? Unfortunately, this isn’t the case for almond or peanut butter so don’t go crazy with that!
15. Roasted Edamame– I found this gem at my local Marshall’s. Ya know how they have random food items there? Anyway, I fell in love with them and I’m impressed by the protein content. They are perfect if you are craving something salty!
Welp, that’s it! I hope this list helps you plan and pack for a healthy vaca! We are leaving for Myrtle Beach in a couple of weeks, so I am definitely taking some of these snacks for the road. Let me know what your favorites are or any other ideas you have for healthy plant-based travel snacks!